One of the donation projects I've decided to work on this year is called The 70273 Project. Jeanne Hewell-Chambers is gathering 70,273 quilt blocks to commemorate the 70,273 disabled people deemed "an economic burden on society" and murdered by the Nazis in 1940 and 1941. Each quilt block has a white background and two red X's to signify the two red X's placed on someone's file when Nazi doctors determined that they were "unfit" and sealed their fate. You can find more information at her websitehereor on her Facebook pagehere. I volunteered to sew some blocks together and two sets came in the mail the other day.
You should see how well documented this project is. Each block donated is assigned a number, and each quilt is numbered. A record is kept of who made each block as well as who quilted each quilt.
Today I started putting blocks together for quilt number 409. I settled on a layout knowing I would have to increase the size of some of the blocks to make it work.
I found a ziploc bag full of small white scraps in my stash that will come in handy. See why quilters don't like to throw out odds and ends of fabric bits?
I only got the first row put together today, but I think this is going to go quickly.
Just as soon as I get quilt 409 and 410 pieced I'm going to volunteer to do more. I would definitely like to make at least one entire quilt this year for the project. Please check out the website and Facebook page for more information and to see if there's some way you can help.
One of the goals I set for myself for this year was to make a baby quilt using this Zen Chic jelly roll. I love this entire collection by Brigitte Heiltand for Moda.
I decided on this pattern I found online. The tutorial is available as a free download HERE.
It took a while to lay out the strips in an order I liked. Naturally, once I started sewing I rearranged (and rearranged!) and then ripped out seams and rearranged again! (Ummm, this wasn't the first time I've ever done that.)
There is nothing more boring than sewing long strips together .....
..... unless it's ironing those seams open!
And there is nothing more frustrating than running out of bobbin thread and sewing for 40 inches without being aware of it .....
..... unless it's wearing a sweater that day and being covered with lint from those pinked edges on your pre-cuts!
I appliquéd the flower petals too far apart so I just added another smaller row. I actually like the double row of petals better.
Now, it's basted and ready to quilt. We've had some pretty cold weather lately so I'm happy to have some hand-quilting to do in front of the fire (and the TV....)
This will be the first of several quilts I plan to make and set aside for future great-nieces/nephews. I have lots of nieces and nephews ranging in age from 45 all the way down to 16, and the youngest six don't have little ones yet. That's not even including future great-grands!
It looks like I have some serious quilting to get done.
It's the first Wednesday of the month, and that means it's time to see what my Scrap Attack Goal is for January. I had my grandson pull a slip from the bag.
Hooray! It's an easy one. The first goal for the year is to cut up my blue scraps into useable pieces. (Can you tell I'm glad?)
Fortunately my pile of blue scraps is on the smallish side.
Well, maybe it's not that small, but wait until you see the greens!
I've started with the smaller pieces, pressing and stacking. The plan is to cut them into 2", 2.5", 3", and 3.5" squares, and 2.5" x 4.5" bricks. What's left will be cut into strips, and pieces less than 2" are going into the trash. (Don't tell anyone.) By the way I'm only cutting up scraps - not stash. I want to make sure I have large enough pieces left for other projects.
I'm hoping to get this done quickly. I have lots more goals to work on, and I need to get busy!
Heaven help me I've found another challenge! It should help me stick to my goals for the "Stash Attack" challenge and motivate me to get some new projects done. Meredithe at pomegranate and chintz and Anne at frayed at the edgeare hosting 6 & 6 in 2018 on their blogs. The idea for this challenge is to work on 6 old projects/UFO's (during even numbered months) and 6 new quilts or projects (during odd numbered months). My 6 old projects will be -- 1. Josh's T-shirt Quilt UFO 2. Debbie's Batik Quilt UFO 3. Use Tom & Jerry fabrics from pajamas 4. Use leftovers from Savannah & Sahara's quilts 5. "Disaster Averted" UFO 6. "Pop of Poppies" UFO My 6 new projects will be -- 1. Rag Quilt for Aaron 2. Black Quilt for AJ 3. Use Zen Chic Jelly Roll for great niece/great nephew quilt
4. Use Hawaiian Prints for great niece/great nephew quilt
5. Whatever strikes my fancy 6. Ditto! It's beginning to look this is going to be one busy year! I'm linking up with Meredithe's 6 & 6 in 2018.
Hi. I'm Sandy. I grew up in a large family and all my life have wanted to be a mom and a gramma. My mother and my grandparents quilted (yes, even my Grampa!), so I inherited my love of quilting from them. As I raised and educated my children I didn't have a lot of time for anything else, but when they left home I got back into quilting in a big way. I would say I am passionate about it. (Oh, yah, and I am passionate about my husband, too......He told me to say that!)