Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Zelda Project

I started a really fun project today - a wall-hanging for my nephew Josh's game room.   He had seen some quilts done by Eric the Quilter and wondered if I could do something similar.    I know a lot about quilting, but I don't know much about The Legend of Zelda, so I needed a little help from Google.  I found my inspiration.

I sketched out some blocks and decided on a layout.

Then I started sewing.  I have 4 of the blocks finished - the Sword.....

.....the Bomb.....

.....the Rupee.....

.....and the Mana Potion.

(I did have to ask Josh what these things were, except for the bomb.  I was pretty sure I recognized that.)

So far, so good, on this new project.  I'm thinking it will go pretty fast. 

It's been way too long since I made a quilt for him.  That was his "Going Away to College" quilt in 2004.  

That one was a little more traditional, for sure!

I think this new quilt will get just as good a smile from Josh, though.  

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Noah's Quilt - A Late Finish

I had set finishing Noah's quilt as my July goal.  It was a lot to accomplish in one month even if we would have been home the entire 31 days!  We were gone for a week, but I still managed to get the borders on it, baste it, quilt it, and bind it.  I finished it about 20 hours after the deadline. 

I machine quilted this one.  Using two different threads and two different patterns.  It was worth having to tie off all those threads because I think it turned out great.

I like the pattern......

......and I love the pieced back.  The lacrosse fabric is pretty cool, plus I used up the leftover navy from the front and some blue from my stash.

I slept under it (tradition!), washed and dried it, photographed it, and then forgot about getting it to my grandson for a couple of weeks.  Ooops!

The main thing is that Noah is happy with it.  

I'm pretty sure he'll enjoy it for a long time.