Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Playing

I've played with art quilts a little, usually because of a challenge or something, and I'm always putting my own twist on a quilt when I use a pattern, but this week I decided to try something completely different.  I was inspired by a friend in a Facebook Art Quilt group when she made a small wallhanging with a woven background.   I wanted a raw edge look so I cut a piece of batting, tore some strips from neutrals, and started.
























This is what my sewing room looks like after I've pulled neutrals and played a while.


















So far so good......  
























......but after sleeping on it I decided I really did not like that pinkish strip across the middle.  

Ahhhhh, that's much better!
























It needed a little pop.


















I couldn't think where to go next, but my grandson Gavin suggested that  I add my favorite flowers somewhere.  Poppies!  How could I go wrong with poppies?
Naturally, my first thought was to appliqué them, but I woke up during the night thinking of the fabric I had left from my "Poppies-A-Plenty" quilt which I shared in this post.


















I've never done broderie perse before, but now is the time to try new things, right?  So I cut out some poppies.


















This is what it looks like tonight.  A good start I'd say.  



















I'm feeling pretty pleased so far.  The little green strip I added looks good.  I'm waiting for the next wave of inspiration to hit.  Who knows where it will go from here.....





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are off to a good start! Keep going.

Bon

Gloria said...

This gorgeous project may be out of your comfort zone, but it is most certainly you. 'Bout time you quilted some poppies!

Mimi said...

Looking good! Have you thought of making your poppies dimensional?

Shelley said...

I love it! Now I am inspired. .