Monday, August 29, 2016

Up Next - - - A Real Challenge

I do love a challenge.   My friend's parents received this quilt as a wedding gift (I think) sometime in the 1960's (I believe.)  I need to find out a little more about the history, but it was obviously a much loved quilt. 



It was definitely much used.




 And is much worn!



















I know for sure that orange and turquoise were popular colors to use in quilts in the 1960's.  I'm not so sure about brown.  I need to look through some quilt encyclopedias for the name of this block.  I don't think I've seen it before.  






















The owners want to keep it for sentimental reasons, but it's in pretty rough shape.  Pattie said I can do whatever I want, so I'm thinking of using the best parts of it to make a wall hanging.  Step one is to deconstruct.



The fabric is very fragile.  It ripped when I was simply spreading it out to get a photo.  














  
 I'll need to come up with a way to protect it from further damage once it's reconstructed, but I don't want to change it so much that it's no longer the same quilt.   I'm nervous but excited about this project.  Aren't you glad you get to watch?

3 comments:

Pattie said...

Oh, Sandy! I can't wait to see how this turns out! Thank you!

Dar said...

You are an angel to take on such a challenge. I don't envy you. I've had my share of repairing and preserving antique quilts and I'd pass on this one. You will definitely earn your halo. lol

Anonymous said...

Marcia made big teddy bears from two worn and much loved twin quilts our mother made. Now each of the three granddaughters have a teddy bear. The worn fabric pieces were left as is in the teddy bears. An idea if there are DGD in their family.